We appreciate your interest in graduate studies in the UCLA Department of French and Francophone Studies. You will find the online application on the Graduate Division webpage: http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gasaa/admissions/applicat.htm.
Virtually all admissions materials must be uploaded through the online application:
- GRE/TOEFL scores (Institution code: 4837, Major code: 2603, ETS code: 16)
- Statement of Purpose
- Informal List of Courses
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Writing Sample
- Fellowship Application (optional)
Although you will upload a copy of your transcripts for review by the Admissions Committee, official transcripts (two hard copies) are still required and should be mailed to the following address:
UCLA Department of French & Francophone Studies
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Pointers on Putting Together an Application:
1) We require a writing sample of no more than 10 pages. The writing sample must be an academic paper (or portion of an academic paper), preferably a paper written for a course. A writing sample has become increasingly important in the evaluation process and you should choose something you are proud of and consider representative of what you can do. Think carefully, however, when choosing a paper to submit. The paper may be in French or English.
2) Another important part of the application is the statement of purpose. Make sure you include the reasons why you wish to pursue graduate studies, your goals, your academic interests, your preparation in the field you propose to study and anything else you think will offer an accurate picture of yourself for the Committee. Family background and personal information may be included if you think it is relevant but should not take the place of the discussion of your academic and professional goals.
Applications are accepted for Fall quarter only and the deadline is 15 December.
For additional information and/or assistance, please do not hesitate to e-mail the Student Affairs Officer.